I’m not kidding, this is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever made. This recipe for cabbage salad contains just four simple ingredients (+ dressing). And heck, you could actually make the whole salad without any chopping (see tips below).
Inspired by Veggie Power
When I built this recipe, I was scanning my list of favorite healthy ingredients. I have a sheet with ’hero,’ gut health, comfort and beauty ingredients I like to use frequently. Red/purple cabbage comes up on ALL of my lists. Come on… I just HAD to make a recipe with this true super food.
(If you haven’t had it, red cabbage tastes similar to green, but has an extra dose of antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds. Plus, it’s so much prettier. Here’s a link to a Healthline article on red cabbage.)
I then added carrots because they are on nearly every list and can stand-up to the structure of our hearty cabbage friend. Plus, the addition of carrots reminded me of the traditional Greek summer salad of ’cabbage & carrots.’
By including garbanzo beans, you ’entree’ level protein. Or, you can choose to axe the beans and instead, top with grilled chicken or salmon.
Then, the green onions provide a pop of color and spice.
A Few Extra Tips
- EASY BUTTON – To make this salad uber easy, you can simply buy the pre-shredded red cabbage and carrot bags in the ready-made salad-in-a-bag section of your produce department. Add a can of garbanzos and even skip the onions and you’re set sans-chopping.
- MIX-IT-UP – Add a bit of southwest menu flair be using black beans and corn instead of garbanzos. Use a touch of ancho chili powder in the dressing to spice it up a notch. Strips of grilled steak would be a nice touch. (if you eat meat)
- LEVERAGE THE DRESSING – I use this salad dressing constantly. (In fact, there’s a jar on my kitchen counter right now.) I’ve actually used this same ’recipe for cabbage salad’ dressing on many of my other salad recipes, even if the original recipes don’t use it.
I’m including links to two other salads where you can use this exact same lemon/olive oil dressing. As noted, the original versions of these salad recipes you’ll find in these links don’t use the exact same dressing. Yet, I’ve altered them in my own kitchen to use the same one on all three now. You can bring all three salads to a party this summer and nobody will ever know what an efficiency diva you are (unless you want to brag about it).
- 1/2 Medium Red/Purple Cabbage
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 green onion (or more to taste)
EASY VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about one large lemon)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or Aleppo seasoning)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the red/purple cabbage into 1/4” strips and then cut again into bite-sized pieces
- Shred the carrots in a food processor or with a grater (with a medium/large blade… not the super fine one)
- Open and drain the can of garbanzo beans
- Finely chop the green onion
All all of the prepared ingredients to a large bowl.
Toss with about 1/4 cup of the salad dressing, then add more to taste. (You can use the leftover dressing on ANY salad. Store at room temperature, away from sunlight, for up to 4 days.)