As you get to know me, you’ll soon realize that I LOVE a good salad. They’re such a great opportunity to cram a bunch of veggies into one meal, while delivering on flavor. Bonus points for a salad that can hold-its-own at any time of year. This hearty antioxidant salad certainly makes the grade!
The other day, I was craving tabbouleh. Yet, it was about 50 degrees outside and I called ‘crazy’ on myself. Tabbouleh and all of its parsley-filled goodness is truly a summer salad (hello, ripe tomatoes). So I cobbled together some ingredients that could potentially fit the bill.
Parsley served the parsley role. (Duh) Then, I substituted beets for tomatoes. Instead of bulgur, I opted for higher protein and antioxidant rich hemp hearts. From there, feta and almonds just felt right.
My Favorite Salad Ingredient Strategy
I think you’ll agree with me that this hearty salad does a fantastic job of checking a lot of yummy boxes. To me, each salad needs to have a great balance of ingredients, without overdoing it, Achieving that balance typically means a base (greens or grains), ‘hero’ veggie, texture and savory touch.
This salad’s breakdown is as follows:
- Base = Parsley
- Hero = Beets
- Texture = Almonds
- Savory = Hemp Hearts (nutty) & Feta (creamy/salty)
If you add too many more things, then it becomes confusing to your palette. Too few, snooze.
Bonus: A Universal Dressing
This recipe includes one of my favorite yummy-on-everything salad dressing. So if anything, make sure to take note and save it to your recipe file. I’ve used this dressing as a household standard on so many salads. It delivers once again on this hearty antioxidant salad.
Olive oil and lemon juice are a phenomenal partnership for any dressing recipe. You can make it as-is, or feel free to add fresh herbs, red pepper flakes or other seasoning to adjust for nearly any salad.Print
- 8.8oz beets (I use ‘Love, Beets’ pre-cooked)
- 2 bunches curly parsley
- 1 cup feta crumbles (I love ‘Follow Your Heart’ vegan Feta)
- 2 cups shelled hemp seeds (or hemp hearts)
- 1/2 cup chopped marcona almonds (almost any nut would be delicious… pecans, walnuts, cashews)
- juice of two lemons (about 6 Tbsp or 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- Dice beets into 1/2” pieces (note – if you want to keep you cutting board beet-juice-free, you can dice the beets in the same large bowl where you’ll be mixing the salad.)
- Chop the parsley into pieces smaller than 1/4” (aka ‘fine chop)
- Rough chop almonds
- Put beets, parsley and almonds into a large bowl
- Add feta and hemp seeds to the same bowl
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder to a jar. Shake well and pour over salad in bowl.
- Mix well and serve. (I love this salad with an amber ale!)
Leftover salad can be stored in the fridge for about three days.
- This Simple Recipe for Cabbage Salad will Blow Your Mind
- Beet, Hemp Hearts & Parsley: Your New Hearty Antioxidant Salad Buddies
- What’s Work Life Balance? A Term That Drives Me Crazy… Find Out Why & What I Focus on Instead.
- My Ultimate Fridge Staple: Easy and Flexible Walnut Pesto Recipe
- How’s Your Me Time? My Shocking Realization that Mine Sucked