Honestly, I’d never had hot buttered rum before making this recipe. I wanted an excuse to try one of the new non-alcoholic rums on the market and it was super cold outside. Hot buttered rum mix was the perfect option.
Yes, I said ‘mix.’ You literally make a base that you add to a hot mug of 1:1 rum and water. I warn you… the mix is so delicious, you’ll want to put it into anything possible. I’ve tried it in both hot cider and coffee… plus, straight from the jar.
This recipe calls for butter and non-alcoholic rum. You’re welcome to substitute vegan butter and ‘real’ rum. Totally your call. Cheers, I hope you enjoy the hot buttered rum mix!Print
For the Mix:
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or – 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the ‘rum,’ per serving:
- 1/2 cup Ronsin non-alcoholic rum
- 1/2 cup
For the Mix:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until smooth.
For the drink:
- Heat rum and water and add to a mug
- Add 2 teaspoons of the mix to the mug
- Use a small frother to incorporate the mix and hot rum/water in the mug
- If you don’t have a frother, you can add all the ingredients into a blender, covering the lid with a towel to blend.
- I like to add some foamed milk or soymilk to the top of the mug for extra frothy fun